Domain Home Debate Forum Opinion Polls Headlines Todays topics | Sitemap | RSS Feeds  September 02, 2014, 17:37:47
0 Members and 1 Guest viewing. « previous next »

how many pensioners will the government murder this winter

Pages: [1] 2 | Go Down | Go to last post Print this Page | Register for your free UK Debate account
Author Topic:

(Read 2941 times)
Gus
King

You are what you is

« on: December 05, 2009, 09:13:42 »

"More than 12 pensioners could die every hour during the current cold snap, Britain's largest pensioner's organisation has warned.

By Nick Britten
Published: 4:21PM GMT 06 Jan 2009

The National Pensioners Convention (NPC) called on the Government and energy companies to help pensioners through the cold spell which has seen temperatures dip to 12 degrees F (-11 degrees C).

Figures from the Office for National Statistics revealed 23,740 pensioners died from a cold-related illness between December 2007 and March 2008 last year; 281 a day or 12 an hour.

That was seven per cent rise from the previous year and the NPC warned that with increased fuel and food prices and the coldest start to January for over a decade, the number of deaths in the next three months could rocket.

Temperatures, which fell to 12F in Aboyne, north-east Scotland, and 14F (-10C) in Farnborough, Hants, could dip to possibly 10F (-12C) tonight, which is colder than in Iceland, although experts said by tomorrow the worst would be over and it will gradually begin to get warmer.

A NPC spokesman said the organisation wanted to see higher winter fuel payments and called on energy companies to reduce prices.

Joe Harris, NPC general secretary, said: "Since 1997, we have lost over 260,000 pensioners during the winter months because of cold-related illnesses, yet the Government seems incapable of acting.

"No other section of our society is so vulnerable and treated so badly."

Motoring organisations said thousands of motorists were left stranded in the busiest period for five years. The RAC and AA received more than 40,000 callouts at the start of the week, the most since 2004.

An AA spokesman said: "We were getting 2,800 call-outs for assistance every hour.

"People must be prepared. We cannot highlight enough how important it is for travellers to take extra layers with them."

Schools across the country remained closed, some by the weather and some by faulty heating or burst water pipes.

Staff at Bourton-on-the-Water Primary, in Gloucestershire, arrived to find the reception classroom drenched, with children's work and books ruined, after pipes burst, causing the class ceiling to collapse.

For the first time in a decade, the RSPB and other conservation organisations issued a joint warning for those visiting lakes, nature reserves and the coast not to disturb water birds as it could threaten their survival.

Birds will be struggling to survive after seven consecutive days of freezing temperatures and need to spend as much time as possible feeding. With low energy levels, causing birds to take flight could seriously harm them, the RSPB warned.

Homeowners were urged to put out food and water with a ping pong ball in it to stop it freezing to give garden birds a drink.

As winter took a grip, the prospect of an increase in gas prices emerged as Russia cut gas exports to Europe by 60 per cent yesterday as its dispute with Ukraine escalated.

It was not all bad news, however, with thousands of school children making the most of an extended break to go skiing in fields and skating on ponds. "

ref  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4142031/Cold-snap-could-kill-a-dozen-pensioners-every-hour.html

260,000 since the liebour party has been in office, i got onto this topic last year and this is a topic that is close to my heart , why does this have to happen in a so called modern country .
Yet the government can throw millions of pounds at illegal wars for "our" so called safety .

This is the sick side of British politics .

a ship arriving to late to save a drowning witch
papasmurf
King

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 09:20:04 »

"More than 12 pensioners could die every hour during the current cold snap, Britain's largest pensioner's organisation has warned.

Everyone over 60 is getting £250 heating allowance this year, (including me.) Some are getting £400.

Since the start of November, (when I had to start heating my home) I have used £48.90 worth of coal.

Tories are like Hells Angels, they only represent 1%.
Gus
King

You are what you is

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 09:30:12 »

Everyone over 60 is getting £250 heating allowance this year, (including me.) Some are getting £400.

Since the start of November, (when I had to start heating my home) I have used £48.90 worth of coal.

So no pensioners are going to die of cold this year , it cost just under £400.00 to fill my oil tank , 1000 litres, which lasts about 2 months , 4 times the price of eight years ago.
I moved my mother down here as she was juggling between feeding herself and keeping her home warm .

papasmurf
King

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 09:37:50 »

So no pensioners are going to die of cold this year ,

I was only quoting what they get, not what they need.
Also over £2billion of benefit entitlement for Old Age Pensioners is going unclaimed. The government should be finding the people that is owed to, not wait for them to claim it.

Gus
King

You are what you is

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 09:53:15 »

Sorry .

Yes i agree with you on that one , as a lot of pensioners find it hard to fill in the complicated and confusing paper work . a government way of avoiding help .

Hsaint1
Rook

Angry Bunny

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 10:00:44 »

At least we are not resorting to bunny biofuel Wink
I have no heating or hot water so I expect to suffer this winter. my room is already so cold at night you can see your own breath. (or that might just be my ghost dropping by). I wish I was getting a heating grant, only my heater has been broken for years now. all of the chipped bones in my fingers swell up and get really painful in the winter, it makes it hard to do coursework because I can't even hold my bloody pencil!

'When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty'
Hsaint1
Rook

Angry Bunny

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 10:45:17 »

You do coursework with a pencil?? Hmmmm...

yes many student still use pencils "gasp" especially when thier work include art, concept drawings, spacial design, storyboarding, keyframing, character design, mood boards, ect.

Admiral Arnold Morgan
i say what i see ! argue with that !,
King

Just Another Opinion !

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 12:49:56 »

The power companies know who they got on there books who is in need of such provisions , a direct payment to them via the government would clear up the clutter and guarantee the heat these people need.

Its better to address this from this point of veiw rather than the other way round.

It only takes a small amount of input and will .................... oh , im beggining to see the flaw now i have penned it .

People who never answer the question must be wrong or lying to themselves .
Oddball
King

Free Speaker

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 13:35:19 »

I just do what St. Maggie of Grantham's lot suggested and bung on a thick jumper and stick a car rug over my knees, and keep the thermostat turned very low - unless there are visitors.    Interestingly, I seem to get less colds and flu and snuffles, than those who can afford to crank up the heat.

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
'Emitte lucem et veritatem' - Send out light and truth.
'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar ('Men will think what they want to think')
Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream!
Oddball
King

Free Speaker

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 19:13:35 »

Why should we have to go about living like Steptoe when Americans have air conditioners that eat up energy and are on all day every day?

I suppose if the superpower boot was on our foot, most of 'us' would do the same.   Same goes for most other nations.    All nations have the Good, Bad and Greedy and Selfish in their populations.

voice
I think therefore I am, I am therefore I think.
King

Genius

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 20:47:30 »

It is not just the pensioners who will suffer either. I was just watching the news tonight and their are people who are under 60 - and are not entitled to the allowance - but suffer badly (cancer being one illness) but can't afford to put on the heating.

What annoys me is that whether you are rich or poor everybody over 60 is entitled to a heating allowance. I know people who use the money to go on holiday. Surely that can't be right?

Ive lived a life thats full. Ive travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, Ive had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.
Pages: [1] 2 | Go Up | Go to last post Print this Page | Register for your free UK Debate account 
« previous next »
Jump to:  
Available mods Forum Moderators - Red names are online now and available: MarkMuses  Admin  Ranger121  Ships-cat  

Login with username, password and session length